Skip to main content

Career Change Up

Exciting, Sad and Scary Times Lie Ahead!

So over my 'many' years I've had various jobs, all with their pro's and con's and their highs and lows. I've been a; Disney Store Cast Member (basically got paid to let my Disney fanatic loose), Boots Sales Assistant (selling make-up to stroppy teenagers and medical bits and bobs to cute old people), Assistant in Vue Cinema (got to see films for free and before they came out), Student Ambassador (paid to walk round campus talking about the Uni...easy peasy) and then I graduated and life suddenly became hard.

I taught in Moscow, Russia for 3 years, I was about to write beautiful years but that may have been taking it a step too far. They were 3 of the coldest years of my life in winter but beautiful summers. I would recommend St Petersburg to anyone as it was stunning. Teaching abroad really built up my confidence and allowed me to enjoy a travelling lifestyle, visiting places during school holidays. Expat life is AMAZING!



I then came back to the UK where it's a whole different ball game. Job to candidate ratio is ridiculous and you are fighting for jobs. You go to endless interviews, feeling you did your best only to once again be rejected. I realise this is life but it is soul destroying. Then came that call, I'd gotten a job in a school up the road. Awesome! Loved it, but alas this love did not last and sadly neither did my confidence. Off to supply teaching I went and I joined Elite:Stockton a Transformation 'bootcamp' centre as a Transform client. Lets get me 20lbs lighter in 6 weeks. Well, I smashed that challenge and in turn fell in love with a healthy lifestyle and fitness. I gained friends and one of those was the Deputy Manager who suggested I work on Front of House in the gym. So I applied, got it, loved it.

I decided to take time out of teaching and pursue a career in Personal Training within the gym. I completed my training and thoroughly enjoyed creating bootcamp circuits and pushing people to their limits. Slightly evil and sadistic but I loved it! Then came that moment, a niggling feeling growing in the pit of my stomach....I miss teaching. Teaching is all I've ever wanted to do since I was little and that quirky, slightly crazy teacher made school fun! He also used to run in his cupboard and scream when we did something that drove him crazy but that was just one of his quirks I swear.

Well, I listened to the niggle, after a month of ignoring it, I finally listened and handed my notice in. I'm going back into teaching. People give various reactions, some sad, some excited for me, most teachers think I'm crazy but then when I ask what else they would do career wise, they can't think of anything else they would like to do in life. I have 6 shifts left, I'm a bundle of emotions; excited, sad and scared. I will miss my Elite fit family. I've had some amazing times.



In January I'm doing a 12 week Return to Teaching course for some experience. Let the long, loud, busy days commence with evenings filled with planning, printing, marking, cutting and laminating. Amy's sweat shop has reopened for business and I'm bloody excited about it!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Warsaw!

So I've moved to Warsaw! In the middle of a pandemic. Call it escapism, call it ballsy or even slightly idiotic but I left England behind to move to Poland.  5.5 years after vowing I was sticking to teaching in the UK, I decided life is too short to have a job that doesn't give you that all important work life balance. The life that we all seek, being able to travel or see new things but also earn a living doing something we love. I love teaching but working in the UK, I rarely got time to breathe let alone travel....so off I popped on a plane and well here I am. I waited a few weeks (15 weeks to be precise) before writing about moving. I wanted to wait as, this year isn't just any year, its 2020. Now I know you might hate that phrase, it's 2020, but it is the best description to encompass the chaos that has been this year without going down the negative route. This year has been crazy. SO when I moved here, I didn't know how it would pan out. Would it be like Mosco

12 weeks of this? Will I survive?

What do you do when you know you are in the right place but then being a grown up and the need for income gets in the way? I'm embarking on a new journey in my life and I'm taking the huge step back into teaching. I weighed up my options and realised the best way for me to get back into teaching was through a return to teaching course. Now I don't know if you've ever wandered the lonely halls of Google but there aren't that many return to teaching courses out there, especially ones that don't involve teaching in London...slight distance for me to travel from the North East and...well....you know it costs an arm and a leg to rent down in London so that was never going to happen. I had to weigh up whether I would get the experience I needed through general day to day supply (since I waiting 5 years to start my NQT year I can now only do HLTA or TA work so that kind of limits my chances) or if by some miracle I could get a course that allowed me chance to t

Amy's Attic

Happy New Year! So 2016 has begun and many of us have started our New Year's resolutions. Mine started a while back. I plan on sewing/crafting more, because everyone has their outlets that relaxes them, crafts are my outlet. Now we are going to flash back a few week ago *Imagine T.A.R.D.I.S sounds here*. A friend and I were spending the day being ladies of leisure at the local Spa and Hotel, I felt so posh, when I began discussing my recent creative projects. Well after a glass of champagne, pampering and the heat of the hot tub, my friend had said how she found it odd I hadn't started a blog, documenting my projects. Now in the weeks to follow this thought had lingered and after a New Years Bucket List discussion my friends set me the goal of setting up a blog, thus Amy's Attic was born! The inspiration for Amy's Attic began months ago when I got sick, or rather my mother got sick, of me using her dining room table as a sewing/craft space. I then ran an idea passed